Sunday, April 29, 2007

We're really going to do this!!

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to have my own business. I never knew what I would be doing, I just knew that ultimately, I wanted to work for myself. So, over the years, I've daydreamed of ideas for businesses and wondered what I would one day be doing - I certainly never thought I would spend my entire career in one job! A few years ago I dabbled at my own communications consulting business, but, that never felt right. It was more of an excuse to leave a job I wasn't happy in than a passion that I felt would go the distance.

And then came along the idea that felt different. :) The only career I've ever wanted more than ANYTHING in the world my whole life, even the idea of having my own business, was the one of being a mother (cheesy, but true). This idea lets me be all baby crazy and justifies it the entire time!

The idea, in short, is to open an online children's boutique. It's been done before, but I think that we (my partner Vicky and I) can do it better. Or at least well enough to compete well in the market. :) We have a lot of great ideas for finding unique clothing that is hard to find elsewhere, we are going to make a great effort to find Canadian products, and we have a twist of an idea that will help in the local market - the in-home party.

SO many people balk at that idea, I know. Too many Tupperware, Pampered Chef and PartyLite parties has put people off of the in-home parties. Well some people, I still enjoy going to them and I know a lot of other people who do too. But, a lot of people don't like them, and those people are going to be particularly hard to convince that this is a good idea. But, the in-home party idea is evolving, and I'm ready to jump on that band wagon.

The low-pressure in-home party! I've been to two, by two different companies (check out Sugar Daddy Shop, their stuff is loads of fun and I got a great wallet at an in-home party!), and it simply is a display, like going to a store, but in someone's house. The store comes to you (you buy your merchandise on the spot) and you get to hang out with your friends, and the host gets some benefits for their effort. I think it'll be a fun way to really promote the online site in the Ottawa/Gatineau area.

Being me, I want to blog about the entire experience. I want to document the journey, and share it with people. Our goal is to launch in January 2008. That gives us eight months to get this business up and running. There's a lot to be done, but at least I'm still home on maternity leave for the next four months so hopefully that will give me a bit more time to focus on the business during Kiernan's naps (ha ha - you can read my mommy blog to find out more about that ;)

I hope people will read, and find our journey interesting. We'd love feedback, so comment away! I'm so excited we're really going to do this!
add to sk*rt


No comments: