Sunday, July 8, 2007

The end is approaching

A one-year maternity leave is truly a blessing in this country. Lara and I are enjoying every minute of it, but we don't want it to end! Here's a little she said/she said on the matter :)

Vicky says:
It seems like every week someone I know is going back to work after a year of maternity leave. I have to say, I don't like it. I've really been enjoying meeting so many new moms who are also on leave this year. It's been great having other moms to get together with, just to get out of the house or chat about the latest baby-related things that are going on in my life.

My maternity leave technically ends on October 29th, but now that I'm going back to school it will end on September 3rd. To be honest, I haven't been thinking about the end of my leave; I guess partly because I still feel like I have until almost November, and partly because it has hit me that I'm actually going to school in September. But it just hit me recently, I only have 8 weeks left with Joel before I start school! That's not enough time! I don't want to miss out on his daily giggles, and see his smile as I pick him up after his nap. I'm really going to miss the time I get to spend with him.

It's going to be a busy year, balancing school and the business, but I'm really looking forward to both. I'm starting a new chapter in my life that is all about kids, and I couldn't be happier.

Lara says:
The countdown is really on for going back to work; I potentially have only 5 weeks until I go back. I thought it would be easier, but as Kiernan gets older, and he does more and more stuff, I realize all the things that I'm going to be missing. As I've realized increasingly over the last couple of months, what I really wish I could do is work part-time. I need to work and get away from being a mom 24/7, but I don't really want to be away for most of Kiernan's awake hours in a week.

As hectic as going back to work and starting a new business is going to be, I feel more and more confident that this business is the right thing for us. If possible, within a few years I will be able to stay home and become a work at home mom and find a way to split my days between working and some daycare, and being home for my kid(s).

Until then, I'm thrilled that I have a childcare provider that I trust will take great care of my baby, and I try not to think too much about leaving him, cuz it makes me a lot sadder than I want to be.

The plus side to all this is, the sooner I'm back at work, the closer we are to Apples'n'Oranges launching, and I'm REALLY excited about that!
add to sk*rt


No comments: