Saturday, June 21, 2008

Posts submitted by email #2

Meg

WHY SHOP CANADIAN?


Be aware of the impact of your dollars.
Having recently lost my job in a food manufacturing plant, I can speak all too well about the importance of buying locally and Canadian. After 100 years of local production, your local grocery store will be stocking peas and corn from China……buyer beware as the label hasn’t changed much. The landscape around my neighbourhood has, as the effects are large on a small rural community.

“ A locally owned independent business returns approximately 80% of each dollar spent back to the community. Local, independent businesses assist the community through a “multiplier effect”: one dollar spent at a locally owned business will return five times that amount within the community through city taxes, employees’ wages, and purchase of materials and supplies at other independent businesses.”

While its hard to avoid “made in China” all the time, if you have the option choose “made in Canada”.

Choice makes for a richer community.
Canadian business contributes more than just goods and services. They offer personalized attention, add diversity to our shopping options, and build strong neighborhoods by sustaining communities and linking neighbours (across Canada). Specifically, entrepreneurship fuels our Canadian economic prosperity and innovation……

Canadians are unique.

And…..I love what awesome and creative “stuff” I can find for my little one!


Kerry

Shop Local - Buy Canadian

I love shopping local and supporting local businesses and even though most of the time it costs more, there is something to say about creative, authentic and delicious food & art created in this beautiful area. Why not "buy Canadian"? We are learning more and more about what it means to support local farmers and businesses. Now that its berry season I am looking forward to u-picking and stocking up for the winter. I am so excited that New Westminster is starting a farmer's market and I hope to check that out next week.

Ironically just a few days ago I was in Chapters looking in the cookbook section for children's recipes. There are a lot of recipes out there for home made baby & toddler food. In anticipation of becoming a parent I've been thinking lately about building a garden on my balcony in order to have fresh, organic food to feed myself and my child. There is a women in Steveston who recently started her own business helping people with balcony gardening. Living in a city where there aren't any farms it means driving my car a far distance in order to buy locally grown food. I would really like to get to a point of driving my car less. Locally grown to me means good flavours,products that are produced with such care and unique from the local big box store down the street.


Amanda

Shop Local - Buy Canadian

Why Do I buy Canadian...??

Better products, cheaper shipping, and the canadian's are just so darn friendly!
I love supporting the stay at home moms that need a little extra income, and it's great meeting new people all across the country!

Be proud of our country and support the economy... BUY CANADIAN!!

Jenny

Well, I shop Canadian for various reasons.

#1. I'm Canadian and I want to support other Canadian businesses and our economy.

#2. There are soooo many more cool things available in Canada now so I always check here first, even though I visit the US at least once a year! In fact, I was just there in May and spent a total of $31 US on purchases. That's it! it used to make me sweat coming back across the border. Not anymore!

#3. Lastly, I'm trying to a little bit greener. It's not an easy feat but wherever I can shorten the sales cycle, I'm happy to do just that. In fact, I signed up for an organic farming share this year and I can't wait to pick up my first basket of organic produce tomorrow - all farmed mere miles from my home. Yummy, fresh and locally grown!

I'm sure there are many more reasons out there to do it, but to sum it all up, I'm proud to be Canadian and proud to buy Canadian.

Happy Canada Day!
add to sk*rt


No comments: